Agriculture & local industries
|menu prev next|
Up until the iron boom, Lamplugh had always been a primarily agricultural area with local industries in support and after the decline of the mines, this is again the case.
As recently as the forties, horses were the main motive power on farms, which generally had at least two, for ploughing, sowing, reaping and mowing. Farmers co-operated with each other for threshing and clipping, and there was much home produce to be had.
This meant that these communities were to a large extent self sufficient to an extent that is difficult to imagine in our supermarket age. Not everything could be home grown, however.
No one knows for certain how long there had been a smithy at Lamplugh. The earliest records date from 1888 when the Edmondson family became tennants there, but it had already been there for many years by this time. It seems that it had previously been a forge served by a dam to drive some sort of machinery. As the use of horses in farming diminished after the second world war, so the smithy declined, remaining in use up until 1968 when the last incumbant, Josie Edmondson who had been born there, died at the age of 78. Ten years later, the building was demolished, after having been derelict, to make way for road improvements.
Lanefoot Forge was involved in the manufacture of such tools as spades, but like the smithy, it isn't known when it first started. In 1829 it was owned by a William Nicholson and seems to have ceased operation in the late 1890's.
This business was started in 1834 by Joseph Wood, who carried on the business untill his sudden death in 1939 aged 65, his brother carrying on as a repair business until 1941. The Shoemakers Shop still stands at Brook House, to the right of the photo, up the steps.
On Jan 19th 1941 a sale of goods was carried out at the premises. The sale of all shoemaking goods totalled £43-18-8d before commission! The inventory included "47 pair of clog soles" £2-3-0d.
Our thanks to Kendall Wood Bruce
There were numerous lime kilns in the area to "sweeten" the soil. These remains are at the site of Stockhow Hall quarry near Kirkland.